French Tech Visa for Employees

For Employers

Is my company eligible to use this Visa for our employees?

To be eligible your company must:

(1)  Be registered in France and present your SIRET number (a 14 digit number all French companies have)

(2)  Check one of the following requirements

  • Has the “Young Innovative Enterprise (JEI)” status. (FYI this is a package of tax credits and social contribution exemptions we offer to our R&D-heavy startups)
  • Received specific state funding* for innovation within the last 5 years
  • Backed by a French VC*
  • Part of a cohort of a partner Accelerator/Incubator*
  • Is part of the current cohort of Pass French Tech


*This list, updated regularly throughout the year, can be accessed via this link.

How do I apply?

All applications must be completed online via our platform.

*** AUGUST 2019 : replies may be a little slow in august; please be patient ! Many thanks ! ***


Will it cost my company anything?


France does not charge an employee sponsorship fee. However, standard processing fees of a total of €368 (see below) apply. Furthermore, the employer will have to pay the employer's tax once the long-stay visa or the residence permit has been issued to the employee (Art. L.31115 and D.331183 of CESEDA)”.

For Employees

Are you eligible? 

To be eligible for the French Tech Visa as an employee, you must have:

  • a work contract with a minimum duration of 3 months with a French company eligible to recruit via the French Tech Visa*
  • a gross annual salary of at least of at least twice the French minimum wage (€36,509.20 as of January 1st, 2019)

*See above

How to Apply

Step 1:

Be hired by a French company eligible to recruit via the French Tech Visa.

Step 2: 

Sign your work contract (make sure that it is signed and stamped by your future employer as well). And ask your employer for the official letter attesting that the company is eligible to recruit via the French Tech Visa.

Step 3:

Apply for your long-stay visa and residence permit. The procedure depends on whether or not you already live in France.

If you live outside of France:

  • In your home country
    You should apply for a long-stay visa and residence permit marked "Passeport Talent" ("Talent Passport") at the French Consulate in your usual place of residence no earlier than 3 months before the date of your arrival in France.
    The long-stay visa is attached to your passport and authorizes you to enter France as an employee working in an innovative new company. The residence permit (which you will receive after your arrival) allows you to stay in France as an employee for 4 years.
    Find the relevant diplomatic or consular authority in your usual place of residence.

    You will need to provide several documents as part of your application. See below for information about these required documents.
  • After your arrival in France
    Once in France, you will present your long-stay visa at your local Préfecture (French government administrative office) which will then issue your residence permit allowing you to stay and work in France. Find the relevant Préfecture (based on where you will live in France).

If you already live in France:

If you already live in France under a different type of residence permit:

  • You will need to apply at your local Prefecture for a change of status. You must apply two months before the previous residence permit expires.
  • You must meet the same criteria for the "Passeport Talent" (Talent Passport) as employees applying from outside France.

Further information can be found on Prefecture websites.

What documents will I need to provide?

You will need to provide several documents as part of a standard application. Contact the French Prefecture or French Consulate nearest you to obtain this list.

To give you an idea of the type of documents you will need, you can download this list of documents that must be submitted with an application for a ‘Talent Passport’ residence permit for an employee. Please note that this list is provided for indicative purposes only. Make sure you contact the consular, diplomatic or prefectural authority that will be handling your application to obtain a list of required documents appropriate to your personal circumstances. Further information can be found on.

Will it cost me anything ?

French companies can activate the “French Tech Visa for Employees” for their employees at no extra charge to the company. Standard immigration-related fees (below) however will apply:

 €99 Long-stay visa authorising your employee to enter France At the French Consulate prior to your arrival in France
 €250 The tax to the French Immigration and Citizenship Office
("Office français de l'immigration et de l'intégration – OFII")
 At the prefecture, once you arrive in France
€19Stamp duty (Processing fee)At the prefecture, once you arrive in France

How do I take my family to France?

There is a simplified "accompanying family" procedure available for your spouse and dependent minor children.

  • Your spouse will be automatically granted the "Talent Passport – Family" residence permit, giving him/her the same authorization to live and work in France as you. You and your spouse should apply for the "Talent Passport" at the same time.
  • Dependent children under the age of 18 do NOT need a residence permit. However, an underage child travel document (‘document de circulation pour étranger mineur’ – DCEM) must be obtained at your local Préfecture after your arrival in France.
  • Children who enter France under the age of 18, but who turn 18 during their stay must apply for a "Talent Passport – Family" residence permit in the year they turn 18.